Fenrir’s Bite Test Batch

I have been working on a recipe this past week. It is an American Pale Ale with a spicy jalepeño kick called Fenrir’s Bite (recipe here). Today I put together a 1 gallon batch using the μMLT and the yeast starter I did yesterday. I picked up a coarse nylon bag to fit inside the μMLT with the hopes it would make cleanup easier, but instead it just made things more difficult. I was never able to set a decent grain bed and after doing roughly a gallon of vorlauf, the wort was still not running clear. It also did nothing to make cleanup easier, so I think I am going to scrap the idea of a bag liner for the mash tun.

Goal OG was 1.060 and actual was 1.063 (15.8° Plato on the refractometer). I ended up doing a 70 minute boil to get the volume down to just under 1 gallon so I could fit 400 mL of the starter yeast in the glass jug with the wort. For now it is sitting in the basement. We’ll see if it takes off. Hopefully it will have a nice kick to it.

I ended up dumping the boiled jalepeños into the fermenter. I am not sure if that is going to negatively impact the pH or not. I may take a pH reading tomorrow (since this is an experiment) just to see how much the peppers are adding to the acidity.

Jalepeños. About 2 ounces in the mash and 2 ounces during the boil at 30 minutes.
Jalepeños. About 2 ounces in the mash and 2 ounces during the boil at 30 minutes.
Hop Schedule.
Hop Schedule.
Lautering.
Lautering.
I wasn't able to get the wort to run very clear due to the bag (I think).
I wasn’t able to get the wort to run very clear due to the bag (I think).
The end of vorlauf. The grain bed never really set properly on the manifold. The bag was more trouble than it was worth.
The end of vorlauf. The grain bed never really set properly on the manifold. The bag was more trouble than it was worth.
Starting the boil.
Starting the boil.
Now we wait... There is already 4 inches of trub on the bottom. I'll be lucky to get six beers out of this.
Now we wait… There is already 4 inches of trub on the bottom. I’ll be lucky to get six beers out of this.

Update: The next morning

The airlock is full of krausen. Apparently fermentation took off like a rocket during the night. I also grabbed a pH strip this morning to check if the peppers in the jug were adversely lowering the pH of the wort. One problem though… I am out of wort range pH strips. I have some 2.8-4.4 range strips for checking the viability of my spray bottled StarSan, but that doesn’t really tell me much useful information about the wort. All I can say for sure is that the pH is greater than 4.4.

Fenrir's Revenge: The Wolf's Eruption.
Fenrir’s Revenge: The Wolf’s Eruption.
IMG_20150305_085443474
Note to self… Pick up some more pH strips with a test range useful for wort.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *